Monday, April 9, 2012

Thou Shall Make a Difference.....one person at a time....

"To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act, is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer."   ~~Mahatma Gandhi


This morning, I got in from my morning run and decided to fold a quick load of laundry before I needed to jump in the shower and start my day.

As I'm folding, I tune in to my favorite morning show, "Good Morning America," and after about 5 minutes, I find myself sitting on the couch glued to this one story that has completely moved me beyond anything I've seen in a while.
I literally find myself in tears!....(happy ones).  I was so touched by this story that I felt compelled to share it with all of you who may have missed it.

This morning GMA surprised three different families with a Disney trip.  You see, others had secretly submitted stories of "why their loved ones deserve such a gift" and now they are just now learning for the first time the "real" reason they are there in Times Square.

All three stories were very good, but it was the "3rd story of the 3rd recipient" that caught my attention and heart the very most.  The third recipient was a 19 year-old boy.  He was very handsome.  All-American look.  Gorgeous smile.  Very kind eyes.

There he was with his mom standing there in Times Square with Lara Spencer.  You could totally tell that he was completely caught off-guard.  You could see him wondering how in the world he won such a trip.
He had no clue who had submitted a story about him.

Lara tells us, viewers, to watch the clip.  This is when he, Marcus Krohn, gets to find out who in the world wrote in to GMA about him.

The clip begins with a mom telling the viewers that her daughter Chelsea, was desperate to go to her senior prom last year.  She had never even been on a date before.

You see, Chelsea is a beautiful girl, who happens to have Down Syndrome.

Chelsea wanted so badly to go to prom that she summoned the courage to ask a boy to go to the prom with her, herself.
That boy told her, "No."

***This is where the story gets GODLY GOOD!

Enter Marcus Krohn (?Not sure how last name is spelled?)  Anyway, think "Zac Efron" type of kid.  Strikingly handsome, good build and you can tell just by looking at him that he is probably most likely considered one of the "cool" kids at their school.

Anyway, Marcus gets wind of the fact that Chelsea wanted to go to their prom, but was turned down....SO.....guess what Marcus does?  Marcus decides that HE wants to be her date!

****At this point in the piece, we, the viewers, get to see the true home footage that Chelsea's mom got when this strapping young fella came to the door with a homemade poster that said, "Chelsea, Will You Go To The Prom With Me?*******

While you hear Chelsea's mom behind the camera sniffling and saying under her breath excitedly, "Oh my gosh...oh my gosh...."
....You see Chelsea, with a stunned look on her face, slowly reading the poster out loud, "Chelsea....will......you......go......to......prom.....with.......me."

Her face TOTAL:LY LIGHTS UP and she gives him an emphatic "YES!"

Marcus then hugs her so tightly.  The mom is in obvious tears as she continues to film this once-in-a-lifetime-scene of her daughter getting asked to the prom by this wonderful young man.

*The next thing we see are beautiful photos of their prom night.

Chelsea was beautiful....and this young fella Marcus?  Movie star handsome.  I'm telling you, the kid is a stud.

At the end of this piece for GMA, Chelsea's mom says, (through tears)...."Marcus treated Chelsea like Cinderella that night.  As they were leaving for the prom, I don't believe Chelsea's feet ever hit the ground."

*Sniff Sniff*...Tissues anyone?
;-)

Honestly...THIS is what it's all about, friends!  Stories like this one, right here!!  My gosh!  If we all had this kind of love, compassion and kindness for each other....Well......I can't even imagine how amazing this world would be.

Let's try it and find out!!!

John Wesley said it best, "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."

And together, the people say, "AMEN."

To all of the "Marcus Krohns" of the world!
Cheers!
*Clink*

Teri

2 comments:

  1. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! And to God be the glory for this wonderful young man! That's all I can muster up for this one. Thank you for sharing, Teri.

    ReplyDelete