Monday, July 23, 2012

"THOU SHALL HAVE HEART"


Okay, it's not often I actually boast or brag on my children. I may tell funny stories on them or talk about different things that they say or do...but when it comes to actually "bragging," I normally don't do this. I allow others to see for themselves if they are impressed by my children in some way. Because it is "Murphy's law" that if you brag on your kid to somebody....the very next action from that child will be something you'll have to apologize for! ha!..So I just don't do it. ;-)

Anyway..... today, I am actually breaking my own personal rule. I have to boast on my Steele. What he did today...what he showed today (in my humble opinion) was courage, inner strength and total HEART as my friend, Crissy, would say.

This weekend Steele had a baseball tournament in Natchitoches, La., while Gator had one in Lafayette. Summer and I went with Gator to his tournament, while Kevin stayed behind and went with Steele to his.

I got word from Kevin yesterday (Saturday) that Steele had two really great games! Apparently, he had a single, double AND a triple in the second game alone. Also, he and best bud, Zavier made an outstanding double play that had Kevin texting me immediately... THAT, in itself, tells you how incredible the play must have been! My husband barely texts me period.....so I KNEW it must have been something special! ha!

So, this morning (Sunday) I called home to talk to Steele so I could get him pumped up before his big games today. I could hardly wait to hear his groggy, ever-changing voice on the phone. Kevin answered and I said, "Hey! Let me talk to my little slugger! Is he ready for the big day today?...Kevin?...Kev..."

"I'm here...hold on" Kevin says and I can hear his muffled voice saying something to Steele like..."Take this, son. You have to if you want to feel better."

"Wait! What? Kevin, what is wrong with Steele??"

"Teri, let me call you back. He has been up all night with some sort of stomach bug. Sick both ways...I'll call ya back." Silence....

I thought, "Dad gum it! He had such a great game yesterday. His team is the #1 seed and they only have nine players this weekend, that will leave them with only EIGHT! Dang it! Bless his heart!"

I know my boy...and more than being upset about being sick, I just KNEW he was more frustrated, miserable and worried over not being able to be there for his team. He NEVER wants to let them down. EVER! I was dying for him. :(

All morning, Kevin and I were texting back and forth. Me with full and long questions... Kevin with one-word replies. (Aargh!) I needed information, dang it! (Men!)

Finally got a text saying that Steele was too sick and could barely muster the strength to walk to the bathroom and back.

So, I said a little prayer that he would recover quickly and then focused my attention on Gator and his team!

After awhile I get a text from Kevin saying that they are heading to Natchitoches!
 WHAT?? So I call, "KEV! What in the world?"

He said, "I was on my tractor and Steele woke up from a good nap and good medicine and said he really wanted to go. So we hopped in the truck, I'm drove 90 MPH all the way to Natchitoches and we made it just in time for the second game!"

"WAIT a minute? Our Bandits WON the first game with only 8 players??? and having to count Steele's "at bat" as an automatic out?!? THey pulled it off?? Oh my gosh!! Incredible!"

"Yep" He answered..."ANd Steele doesn't want to let 'em down. Okay, love you.... gotta go!" Silence again.
 (Dang it! Stop getting off the phone with me when I'm not ready! ha!)

I literally stare at the phone like some magic information will show up on my phone.
 What in the world??

Longer story short, Steele plays his position at shortstop. Although he feels better than LAST NIGHT when his stomach was ravaged by some bug, he's still not quite right, Kevin said.

He plays his position like a trooper, but upon his return to the dugout, Kevin would have to ice him down and towel him off. He could tell Steele was getting weaker by the minute.

Steele goes up to bat and hits a beautiful 2-run double, but then when he gets back to the dugout, Kevin can tell that running those bases has taken it's toll on our boy and he is feeling the pain and having to reeeeally dig deep.

In the dugout, Steele is very quiet while Kevin tends to him. (This is what Steele has done his entire life when something serious is going on with him.....he summons something from deep within. He always gets very still....very focused...and very quiet.)

The coaches decide to put him at first base to help keep him from working too hard at short stop.
 Apparently his buddy, Z, is concerned and constantly looking at Steele to give him extra "strength" and support. (THey always have each other's backs)

Finally in the last inning, the score was 13-7, bases were loaded and because of the "pitching limitation" rule, the coaches were trying to figure out who to pitch to end this championship game. THe other team had rallied back and were hitting the ball like crazy. It had our fellas rattled.

Kevin said they wanted to use Steele (who is one of their better pitchers) but knew he was struggling with just trying to stay healthy enough to make a catch.
But all of the sudden, Steele (from 1st) motions to Kevin, "let me pitch...I can do it....Dad, let me end this"

Kevin said, "Steele, are you sure buddy? Can you do it? You think you are up for it"

"Yessir....let me pitch Dad."

So with bases loaded, and two outs, our pale, sickly boy gets up to the mound, sweating profusely, wiping his brow. He throws ONE pitch. THe kid hits the ball...the ball hits the mound pops up high close to second base... Kevin said Zavier jumps up ten feet in the air, makes an unbelievable catch, then dives for second base to get the runner out and end the game!!! He said the crowd went crazy!

As Kevin is telling me this, I am driving home from Lafayette and the tears slowly fall down my smiling face. Not because of the win, but because my boy....my brave, dedicated, strong-willed boy... went deep within himself and found that place of courage, strength and sheer will to do what needed to be done in the face of a huge obstacle (his weakened sick body).

Blows my mind. Absolutely blows my mind. After the trophy recognition part, Steele and Kevin came home. Steele was sick in the truck and got his shower then straight to bed. We are trying to keep his fever down and he informed me that he has had only ramen noodles and crackers for 24 hours.

I rushed to him when I finally go home and said, "Baby boy....what you did was courageous, remarkable and heroic. You absolutely amaze me.
 ....but pleeeease don't do it again! I can't take the idea of you playing while feeling so terrible! Your body can't take it!" ha!

His smile was so wide on his pale, sick face and he said, "A man's gotta do what a mans gotta do." Ha!!!

Inspired me. He completely inspired me.

What a perfect metaphor for our crazy lives and the obstacles that sometimes try to stand in our way of the "big game."
Here it is:

There is NO obstacle too big for God. There is NO problem too big for God. There is NO circumstance, situation or tribulation too big for God.

God is bigger than ALL of it....so get out there....stay determined.....keep your focus.....persevere......and HAVE HEART.

So very proud of my boy today. ;-)

As ever,
Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment