Monday, July 23, 2012

"THOU SHALL MAKE TIME TO GATHER YOUR THOUGHTS AND BELIEFS....ON PAPER"


*A few introspective thoughts from my dad*

When my dad wrote about things he loved and believed in, these ideas, thoughts and opinions were at the forefront of his mind at the time that he wrote his credo.
I Hope it gets you thinking about your own belief system. It sure does that for me. ;-)

Here is just a small portion of Dad's beliefs:
 He wrote:

*I believe in laughter and a whole lot of it.
 *I believe in crying but not a whole lot of it.
 *I believe it's okay to show emotion in public.
 *I think children are the neatest things on earth.
 *I love people who can laugh at themselves.
 *I love people that kid and can take kidding.
 *I have a hard time figuring out people who can't take kidding.
 *I believe we take things too seriously, especially religion.
 *At the moment, I can't believe I'm trying to be serious.
 *I believe religion gets in the way sometimes of spirituality.
 *I believe many of our churches are dying because they are boring.
 *I believe many preachers are boring.
 *I believe a lot of church curriculum for our children is boring.
 *I believe I am boring right now.
 (ha!..I can totally hear him say that.)

(at this point in is credo, Dad goes on to talk a little bit about his thoughts on Heaven and Hell) then he says this about Hell:

"What do I really believe about Hell? Well, If God created the devil and hell, He would have to know that He, himself, was going to send some of His children there, and it even follows that He would have a pretty good idea who they would be. So, that would give us a God who created the temptation, who created persons unable to resist it, and who pre-condemned them to an eternal residence in the furnaces of Satan. Personally, if the God I dearly believe in, was this kind of God, I would not believe in nor worship Him.

(((Interesting thought...
At this point, Dad sprinkles in some humor.)

He wrote, "I wonder how Jesus would have handled his own 15 year-old son who bugs the daylights out of Him to get his chariots license."
 Ha...
 Then he added:
 "I wonder how the disciples wives liked their husbands just dropping everything to follow Jesus?"

((((I mean, seriously, who thinks of stuff like this?? ha!! THIS was how my dad thought about everything all. the. time! ha!...so now I do! I drive myself nuts thinking about things like this .....and drive Kevin crazy trying to get him to think along these lines too! Ha!! Kevin will sometimes just stop and stare at me...then shake his head like, "where do you get this stuff?!" ha!!))))

Then Dad goes into his beliefs that Jesus must have been funny and super fun loving when He wasn't preaching. Dad wrote: "Could you imagine being around someone who was doing some serious teaching and preaching 24 hours a day?"

((It's so true if you really think about that!! haha!)))

(((After this portion of Dad's credo, it gets really, really good to me.... He touches upon subjects that many might find controversial or uncomfortable...but for me it absolutely stirs my soul and provokes thoughts inside of me that cause me to really sit down, reflect and figure out what it is that I truly believe.))))

And if for no other reason, that's good enough for me.

Have a great (and thought-filled) day!!
 Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment