Friday, February 24, 2012

Thou Shall Take Righteous Stance Without Being Self-Righteous About your Stance

 "Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."  ~~ Anthony J. D'Angelo


I don't know what it is about me that gets so tickled when others fuss over things like religion or politics, but it totally cracks me up for some strange reason! ha!

I especially get tickled if it's an argument between a married couple.  If you are out with other couples and the topic goes in a direction that one couple actually feels "passionately" about, but stand on opposite sides of, I'm literally like, (rubbing my hands together like it's freezing cold) OH Yeh! It's about to get good UP IN HERE!!
Somebody bring me some popcorn and 3D glasses....I'm ready for the show! haa!

WHAT is wrong with me, right?? 
I mean most people squirm and try to diffuse the situation by saying something like, "Oh, Charlie....Sabrina....Come on now, you two! We're all just having a little fun here. It's not a big deal, Henry and I disagree about the same thing all the time and we have finally just decided that we will (cutely touted and smiling at spouse) 'agree to disagree'." 
(Blech!)
Whatever!

No! Sometimes you just gotta "duke it out" (with intelligent banter, mind you) and let your voice be heard especially if your spouse has said something that does NOT represent how you feel at all!  
Sometimes I feel I have no choice.  I feel I am forced to chime in. ;-)

*I usually use humor to sort of help me get my point across without getting my husband upset with me.  HOWEVER, if he goes "there" and pokes fun at MY thoughts...then all bets are off! Somebody go grab the popcorn! Ha!!

You know, these things usually start off as playful banter, but by the end of the night, the husband is nudging the wife under the table and she has suddenly become the "Ultimate Ice Queen".  Her lips might be smiling, but her eyes are saying, "Oh....you know I will freeze...you....out. 
So if this is how you wanna play, then Game. On, Bucko."  

Now c'mon, DO NOT pretend you have no idea what I am talking about! We've ALL been there! (If you've been married long enough, that is.) ;-)

This sort of marital fuss is normal, funny and sometimes completely ridiculous if you really think about it.  And if you are one of the lucky ones, you and your spouse will ultimately find humor in it all.

I wonder what it is about ourselves that makes us feel so self-righteous in OUR stance about a particular subject?

Is it our ego?  Narcissism?  A sense of self-empowerment?

What fuels or propels us into thinking that our way cannot possibly be wrong?  It becomes "our way or the highway" so to speak.

Give me a break!! We are so silly!  The beauty of our nation is that we are all different and unique and we get to freely voice our differences.  I love that about us!  ...but we don't have to fight, fuss, whine, accuse and make a fool of ourselves like many of our nation's top leaders.

I would love to be a "PONE HOLDER" at one our Presidential debates! 
What? You've never heard of a "pone?"  Okay, you must not have a teenager in the house. ha! 

A "pone" in this case does not refer to what happily and stubbornly sits on the side of a woman's hips.  The new kind of "pone" is another slang word meaning one who has just "owned" you....or totally blasted you with a clever, snide and witty "slam".  What? You don't know what "slam" means??  Well.....dang....google it, then.

I would love to hold up a  "Pone" card behind each candidate that uses slanderous, unfair, snide and clever attacks to make his opponent look bad...and untruthful.

WHY would I want to do this??  Can you imagine the work-out I would get?!  They would keep me hopping!! That's all they do now! It'd be a better workout than running a 5K!

It's gotten so ridiculous.

I mean really! How "Right" is it for one to feel SO self-righteous about  their stance that they'll tear down another's belief system just to make themselves look "better" or "smarter?"
Can we not get our point across, anymore, without debating another person's character...or that of his child, spouse or brother? 

Big, fat, hairy deal if we don't agree all the time! 

I remember so vividly something my dad used to say that is a quote of his I truly try to live by. 
He said: "Respect other peoples beliefs...if their beliefs make them better people.  And think about how another person's thoughts make you think about your own beliefs."

So here's what I believe:

*I believe you can take a righteous stance, without being self-righteous about your stance.

*I believe one can take a stance about another's actions without taking a stance against them.

*I believe that if you choose to take a firm stance, then you better be prepared for some intelligent opposition, because there will always be others who feel just as righteous about their own stance.

*And I believe you need to be VERY careful about feeling the need to take a firm stance on ANYTHING.

In other words, with every stance I take in my life, I am fully aware that I have little eyes watching me and gauging how their mommy feels about and handles "life" issues.

It is imperative that my children be taught to NOT judge others as they only have themselves and their own actions to judge.

"Peace" out everybody!
Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment