Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thou shall search for truth through the b.s. (eloquent, I know)...

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple”
-Oscar Wilde
Surely, by now, many of you have heard about the debate raging between Susan G. Komen for the Cure and Planned Parenthood. It’s been on the news, plastered all over Facebook, and has been the topic of a lot of lunch conversations over the past few days.
For those of you who have been living under a rock, let me bring you up to speed. In short, many pro-choice advocates are upset that the Komen foundation has pulled its funding of Planned Parenthood. Ok, that was putting it mildly...these people are L.I.V.I.D.!
I first came to hear of the debate upon seeing a Facebook post on the wall of one of my more liberal former college roommates who was ticked off that Komen would choose to put “so many lives in danger by terminating its funding for cancer screenings offered through Planned Parenthood.” I then caught the story on the evening news last night and saw an interview with a Planned Parenthood supporter who was “mortified that Komen would show such blatant disrespect for human life.”
Uh, hold the phone for a sec, K?
You are “mortified” that Komen would disregard human life??? This is a non-profit foundation which, since its inception in 1982, has raised over 2 billion dollars (yes, that’s “billion” with a “b”) and has over 100,000 volunteers in over 50 countries who’s sole purpose is to raise awareness of and eliminate breast cancer. That’s the same breast cancer that is diagnosed in over 230,000 American women each and every year.
Given that it’s Komen’s mission to eliminate cancer and thereby save the lives of human beings, are we really THAT surprised that they would choose to side with the pro-life movement and step away from Planned Parenthood, an organization that sponsors abortions? Abortions which end lives...
Ok, ok, calm down, all my pro-choice friends. I’m sure Planned Parenthood does a lot of other things. It may be a stellar organization, but for many people, getting around the little issue of supporting abortion is hard to do.
Now, here’s the real nitty gritty of this issue and my ultimate problem with this debate...
No one is telling the truth. 
You see, Komen has been quietly funding Planned Parenthood for years. It wasn’t until a little group of pink-ribbon bible selling Evangelicals discovered the link between Komen and Planned Parenthood, that this became a debate. Those Evangelicals decided to pitch a fit just recently and lo, and behold,  Komen decided to “re-evaluate” its choice to fund Planned Parenthood. Instead of being honest and admitting that this issue had become a tempest in a teapot, and they were sick of the pressure from  the anti-abortionists, Komen instead decided that they were going to “withhold any funding to any group under investigation by local, state or federal authorities.” According to Komen, the decision is absolutely not political and has nothing to do with the abortion debate. 
Yeah, sure...
But, on the other hand, Planned Parenthood supporters aren’t exactly raging an honest debate either. They are outraged that Komen would deny funding that permits women to have the cancer screenings that could save their lives. Now, you have to understand...Planned Parenthood doesn't do mammograms or other breast cancer screenings, above a beyond breast exams. They refer all those more intensive screenings to other entities.
So hang on a sec...
You can still have those screenings. You just can’t have them performed by Planned Parenthood. Last I heard, Komen hadn’t decided to take that money that would have otherwise have gone to Planned Parenthood and instead decided to take a cruise to Jamaica. They money is still there and, according to Komen, will be provided to groups who meet their criteria of not being under investigation.
Maybe I’m crazy, but that sounds reasonable.
What would have been really refreshing though would have been to see this debate argued honestly.  Komen could have announced that it’s THEIR money (which it is). It was raised through tireless hours of work and what must be an endless supply of blood, sweat and tears. They could have stated that since it’s theirs, they have every right to decide to whom it shall be given and they have now decided to appease the pro-lifers and therefore, Planned Parenthood had to take a back seat. 
And pro-choice advocates could have admitted that this has NOTHING to do with cancer screenings, and everything to do with supporting a woman’s right to choose. They are mad not that they don't have money to do breast exams, but that they don't have money to promote their pro-choice agenda.
But, no, in today’s day and age of “political correctness,” that level of honest discussion is impossible... So instead we are left with all this nonsense. Sure, if you look hard enough, you can read between the lines and see through all the deception. You can see what this really is...yet another battle between the pro-life movement and the pro-choice supporters. 
But, no matter what side you fall on in regards to the abortion debate, it’s hard not to be disappointed with the decision to drag Komen through the mud after all they have done for women.

-Claudia

11 comments:

  1. Wow. Wow. Wow. I have to thank you, friend, for bringing to light a fact that I tend to overlook many times.
    I tend to take what is reported as if it is Gospel, instead of researching the facts. This is a good reminder to always keep "discernment" in the forefront of my mind when listening to ANY story really. Until I have ALL the facts, I need to consider the source. Great job,C!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting post! Since you asked, here's my take....To say that PP isn't really doing breast cancer screenings because they aren't doing mammograms and biopsies misses the point a bit, for me. They do breast exams, which for many (most?) women, are the way that breast cancer is first detected. They are a vital part of women's health, and for many women without access to health care, a simple breast exam at Planned Parenthood could make a huge difference in their long-term health. Yes, SGK can absolutely fund whoever/whatever they want. If they don't want to fund PP, so be it. But to be so dishonest about it (whereas I don't really see that PP has been dishonest about the impact of the loss of the funding - it was earmarked for breast cancer screenings, and I haven't seen any indication that it was used for any other purpose) is what is upsetting to me.

      Delete
  2. You said it perfectly Thank you for doing your homework on this issue. I keep seeing people saying that mammograms will be taken away when that simply isn't true, they will bypass PP as the "middle man." For many years people have screamed for defunding PP without knowing the money they raised was going to the same group they were fighting. I will now make contributions and purchase products rather than avoid the pink ribbons like the plague.

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, love your thoughts and value your opinion. But, if PP is so concerned about proper breast cancer screenings, why aren't intensive screenings (in the form of gene testing, mammograms, etc.) a part of their protocol? Instead, they offer what was described to me by 2 of my girlfriends (I personally have not been) as glorified self exams. Even they don't deny that is what their screening consists of. I realize that self exam is often the first step in breast cancer screenings but we can't ignore the fact that while 1 in 5 woman will visit a PP, of those that go, 9 out of 10 will have an abortion performed.
    And I'm not saying there is not a place for that, although I am personally opposed to it. I am just saying, call a spade a spade. PP is primarily concerned with providing women with an option should they want to terminate their pregnancies. To hide behind a shield and say that they are now concerned with breast cancer screenings is disingenuous at best.
    -Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may be your greatest fan for speaking the truth here. This is what people need to know!

      Kayla

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Kayla. I promised to speak "my truth." I know my truth and other's truths may be different but it's important for me to provide the facts as accurately as possible and then to welcome others use this platform to challenge those facts. That's the only way I know to keep learning and growing...
    -Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia, where do you get your numbers "1 in 5 women will visit a PP of those that go 9 out of 10 will have an abortion performed"? Their own reporting says that 11 percent of their clients receive abortion services which would be slightly greater than 1 out of 10. Luckily I have health insurance which affords me breast screenings by my doctor although maybe I should have her skip them since according to you they are glorified self-exams. If my doctor finds something she gives me a referral for a mammogram or biopsy - many places will not take you without a referral which PP also gives if they detect something. It's SGK's money and they can do what they like with it but don't dismiss PP as a primary abortion provider when they are so much more. I went to them when I had no health insurance and it wasn't for abortion services. Also don't dismiss their exams, which doctors recommend you get once a year, and the fact that they provide these exams and services to women who cannot otherwise afford this care (76% of their patients are at or below 150% of the federal pverty level).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claudia I completely agree. There r places to get free breast exams. And yes they are important step in cancer screening. But PP is NOT the only place who does these screenings. So PP can still do them since there is no cost involved and send the patient to the appropriate place for further testing. Just like my opinion self exam is not costly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea, my numbers come from cnn's interview today at 11:30am with a planned parenthood exec from Memphis. Fox news reported the same numbers but i give more credence to the planned parenthood's own representation of their stats. As you probably know, pp is anything but ashamed of their stats. In fact, I always considered them very proud of what they do. Again, I don't have to personally agree but I'm reporting their own numbers.

    As for self exams, I have no idea what your age is, but if you are over 40, breast exams alone are not recommended for proper screening. But if you call pp and tell them you are over 40 and want a breast screening do you think they will tell you that you need a mammogram. I actually know the answer to that question because I just called and they made me (at 40) an appt for next Tuesday.

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claudia,
    I am not over 40 yet and I don't know what they say at the exam for a women 40 or over but it clearly states on their website that mammograms are recommended for women 40 and over every year. They also say that they can give women information on where to go for a mammogram. I had gotten my numbers from PPs website - they publish them and could not find anything about 9/10 patients getting abortions. I found an interview between PP president Cecile Richards and Soledad O'Brien on CNN (I don't know if that is the interview you are speaking of) and while she did say that 1 in 5 women in america went to PP she never said that 9/10 of those women get abortions. Again data on their own website shows the exact opposite which is that approximately 1/10 of their patient gets abortion services. Just trying to separate the facts from the BS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a retired Plastic Surgeon with extensive breast experience, I have but two comments:

    First, why on earth would Komen have entered into a relationship with PP in the first place? Komen is committed to preserving life, whereas PP is committed to ending it. Makes no sense. Komen is not short of funds. They could have used their own funds to promote their own breast health awareness programs and appropriate screening, instead of "farming it out."

    Second, why would PP, who is in the business of performing abortions gotten into the business of breast cancer screening? That is just as crazy. I suspect it was done to promote an image of legitimacy to the organization. Now if PP were serious about breast cancer screening, they would offer mammograms themselves, as opposed to "making a referral."

    This in my opinion is just a bunch of posturing on both entities behalf, each trying to establish an appearance of legitimacy.

    One thing for sure, though. MAKE SURE WHEN YOU SUPPORT A CHARITY, YOUR FUNDS ARE NOT BEING CO-MINGLED, AND BEING USED FOR PURPOSES YOU MAY NOT AGREE WITH, AS COULD WELL HAVE BEEN THE CASE WITH DONATIONS TO KOMEN.

    John Hugill

    ReplyDelete