Friday, January 27, 2012

Thou shall de-stress your life...

“God didn’t do it all in one day...what makes me think I can?”
-Anonymous
It’s Friday! Friday means “Tips” Day and this week I have scoured the internet, read my magazines (and most importantly, quizzed my girl-friends) in order to compile the top 5 Tips to De-Stress your life. I don’t profess to be great at any of the below but I have to admit, they all work if you can achieve them.  
1. Manage Your Time 
Do you find yourself at the grocery more than twice a week? Did you forget the dry cleaning even though you were right next door picking up light bulbs at Home Depot? I used to do this ALL THE TIME...It caused stress because my days (and likely yours) are busy enough. The key, I believe, is to make lists. Keep track of your errands and group together based on location. Get in a habit of doing this and after just 2 weeks, you will have better routine in your life. Also, have a magnetic note pad on the fridge and encourage kids to put their wants and needs on the pad. Feel free to adjust once you’re shopping though unless you really do want your kids eating ho hos and  frosted  gummy bears for breakfast.

2. Say No. 
Simple as that. The more you take on, the more stress you create in your lives. Prioritize what must be done; work, exercise, etc. (these are your “core” responsibilities. Then fill in your schedule with a reasonable amount of what I call “non-essentials” (hair appointments, meetings at your kid’s school, dinner with your bff). After that, just say “no” to anything extra, no matter how appealing it may sound. Remember, your body and mind need a certain amount of down time. As moms, we try not to over-schedule our kids but somehow have no concerns with over-scheduling ourselves.

3. Don’t procrastinate. 
Isn’t it amazing how downright pleasant it can be to help your child with their Science Fair Project when it’s due a week from Tuesday and so completely miserable to help them the night before it is due. Why? Stress, of course! Deadlines create stress and the more demanding the deadline, the higher the stress level. Try to get a jump start on things with steadfast deadlines (bill paying, work projects, large school projects). Your stress level will drop dramatically. 

4. Plan, plan, plan. 
A friend of mine meets with her husband and kids for ten minutes every weekend just to see what they have on their schedules for the week ahead. Do they have big tests? Any items needed to bring into school?Meeting for ten minutes sounds simple, right? It is, but what she gets in return is a HUGE amount of predictability to her life and predictability is GOOD. I know it seems sexier to fly by the seat of your pants but you won’t feel sexy or carefree when you are scouring the aisles of the 24 hour mini-mart trying to find the popsicle sticks your son needs to bring in to science class the next morning.

5. Delegate, delegate, delegate. 
Ok, I must admit I flat out stink at this in some aspects of my life but I’m great at it at home! If your kids are over 2, chances are they can start helping you around the house and they should! It teaches responsibility and helps you de-stress. The key is choosing age-appropriate tasks for each of your kids (my kids were dusting by age 3, I swear) and have a manner to keep track of their tasks. There is a reason your kid’s teacher keeps those charts in the classroom...they WORK! If your kids argue about whether it is easier to clean windows that to vacuum floors, try what I do. At my house, once every two weeks we draw rooms. Each child and I end up with a few rooms (in addition to their bedroom) to maintain clean for those two weeks and then we re-draw. The kids learn how to maintain some order in our home and I get the privilege of not having to clean the entire house on weekends after a full work week...a win-win!
Have some great tips of your own to help you de-stress? I’d love to hear them and share them! Comment below or email me at commandmentsforlife@gmail.com
I wish you good luck and less stress!
Claudia

6 comments:

  1. I don't see one that says, "have a glass of wine!" Must be saving that one for later!! Great recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wine is helpful. If you're Teri, yoohoo is all you need but for the rest of us mere mortals, Wine helps!
    -Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!! I sure do need a good yoohoo every now and and then. ;-)
    But let me be clear.... Even though I don't smoke or drink, I, too, crave a good stogie during those times when life gets the best of me. Ha!

    These tips are FANTASTIC!! Can't wait to share!!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri, you crack me up! Ok, friends, share your tips for stress relief. We all need them!!!

    -Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got an email from a very upset "Sarah" who said this about my response to the Q and A:
    "I'm sick of people thinking because I am the boss, I should always pay. I may make more than the people that I supervise but they should pay their share even if I invite them."

    Sarah said it was fine that I post her response (and mine) so let me just say this:

    Sarah, I am not advocating for people to take advantage of their bosses (I am a boss so I get it) but if you are inviting people to eat who work for you and earn less than you, I think you should always be prepared to pay. It's nice if they offer to split or alternate checks but if they are constantly expecting you to pay (and you don't want to), you have one very easy solution...quit inviting them.
    Thanks for your email.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not agree more, C.

    I think another thing to consider is the fact that maybe the employee feels that they cannot say "no" to the invitation from a boss, even if they know that they are not truly prepared to pay.

    Think about it: How do you ask the boss, who has extended the invitation to dinner (and who also pays your salary) how the bill will be split ahead of time.
    This is not easy. In fact, it's a pretty tricky and sticky situation.

    I completely see where you are coming from, Sarah, and can understand your point of view, but with that being said, I also hope you can sort of empathize and think about it from the employees side of things as well.

    Thanks for your input. I never thought about it from your perspective. You probably speak for more than you know!
    We appreciate you,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete