Monday, January 30, 2012

Thou Shall take that "First Step"

"The first step is sometimes the hardest one to take.....but you can't move forward until you take it"
~~ My mom, Barbara Spinks

If you walked into my den right now, you would literally think a tornado had swept through my house and bypassed every single room, except for my den. Ha!

I have books piled high up to my waist, boxes of pictures stacked neatly in corners, exercise equipment, children's toys, art supplies, sentimental school projects and much, much more in a system that can only be described as "organized chaos."



And I'm THRILLED about this!  
Huh?  Did she just say "Thrilled?"
Yep. More like Ecstatic!


Here's why:  This organized chaos represents a "first step" for me.  A first step into doing what I've been wanting to do FOREVER now.  I have been wanting to turn this "catch-all-room" (which is only 5 tiny steps from my bedroom) into my very own "OFFICE" for years. 

Yes! My own work space!!

Until now, it's been the computer/ hunting gear/ school & art supply "catch-all" room....but NOW, I am going to breathe new life and new energy into this space as it becomes my very own office....my very own creative work space. I could not be happier!

And I have my workhorse, let's-do-this, there's-no-better-time-than-the-present, mom to thank for it!

Why?! Because when you mention something like wanting to make this "junk room" into an office or wanting to switch children's rooms around so that they can have their own space and appropriate privacy, Mom doesn't have to think to hard, or even long on this...nor does she procrastinate. 
She simply rolls up her sleeves, takes that "first step" and GETS STARTED!


For months, I have been consumed and even overwhelmed at the mere thought of all of the work that I knew was in store for me.


But Mom will tell you, "Don't look at the overall picture and how grandiose the job is today....just start with the tiniest step toward your goal.  Start with something small....just do something."


Well, mentioning this to Mom was a BRILLIANT move on my part!


While I was gone with my little crew visiting my in-laws over the weekend, my sweet, hardworking mama GOT BUSY!
She cleaned out closets.  She moved furniture.  She got rid of furniture.  She got online to order more furniture!!  ha!

She stacked all of the belongings from the closets and drawers in an orderly fashion in my den so that I can easily rummage through and keep what is necessary and simply dispose of the many, many, MANY items that I should have let go of years ago! ha!

My mom's sister, my Aunt Kirdy (pronounce Keer-dy) arrived and began helping Mom get Summer's room into a "Tween-age" wonderland!
While we were gone, mom measured and took note of the dimensions to Summer's new computer desk and little nooks so that they could find just the right items for her room. And according to Aunt Kirdy, Mom had them travel all over Shreveport to "every single furniture store in town." ha!


When we got back home from visiting Kevin's parents, Summer walked into her "new" room and was so stunned and happy, I thought she was going to cry!  She hugged Mom so tightly and I felt pure JOY, if you wanna know the truth.  It was a feeling straight from heaven for me.  I literally could not believe how hard Mom had worked...how much time she and Aunt Kirdy must have spent trying to help me see this goal come to life.

There is still SO much to get done, but now that Mom took that "first step" for me and got me started, I feel that I can do this! AND, I'm released from that silly (but dreaded) fear of how overwhelming it was all going to be.  
I got this!!!

My mom has always been the "doer".  

*Growing up, Dad always had the grand ideas....but it was always my mom who implemented them and made sure they came to fruition.
*Dad was the visionary...while Mom was the "tell me what I can do to help you get started" life partner.
*Dad was the "Let's go buy a motorhome and travel with the cousins to the beach" fella....while Mom was the "packer, organizer, navigator, let's make this happen" gal.


You get the picture. ;-)


If you are one of the lucky ones, you will have a "starter" a "let's do this" soul who is always ready, willing and able to help you get going with your latest project, your newest dream or your grandest vision. They are the ones who help you take that "first step."  That beautiful first step towards your ultimate goal...whether it be cleaning up, moving out, stepping up or moving on. 

That "First Step" is the most important one.


For my siblings and me, our own "First Stepper" is our amazing, remarkable, talented, efficient, "get 'er done" mom.


Whether it was my "first step" in life as a baby....or helping me take that "first step" after that painful break-up with a first love.....or helping me navigate my "next step" when it came to parenting one of my children..... my mom is always there.


*Oh...and the best part?  Mom not only knows how to get me started....but somehow she actually knows how to make it fun.....and ......even cleansing somehow.


Mom is the "starter"....the "fixer"....the "doer"..... She is my "Let's take that first step towards good stuff" Mom...and I am grateful to God for letting me have her.  
How incredibly blessed I am.


Mom said it best, "The first step is sometimes the hardest one to take....but you can't move forward until you take it."


Life is really good.
Take that First Step towards making it even better. ;-)


Teri

7 comments:

  1. Congrats! You did it! You got started...keep going. It will be so great to have that space all to yourself! Love your Mom and Aunt...they are the best!!!
    -Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post....your mom has always been such an inspiration to all of us who know and love her! As much HAPPINESS as it gave you and your family to see all that your mom and Aunt Kirdy did for you over the weekend...I can almost guarantee...it made your mom the HAPPIEST of all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...What a sweet thing to say! Thank you, friend! I told her that now that she got me started, there is no stopping me! Although I will say, it is amazing the things we hold onto when we really don't need to.
    Going through everything is bringing back so many memories. I should have done this months and months ago... It's almost therapeutic in a way. Thanks for responding!
    **And Claudia, we talked about you so much over the past few days. They love you too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri--I needed this! Tell your mom that she is a genius!

    Will you share her?

    My "house" is in the garage--from when Kami was dx'ed! Every week I say that I'm going to clear it out, but the gargantuan size of the ordeal--and the overwhelming emotions!--keep me putting it off, time and time again.

    Time for me to set my life back on track. Thanks for your help, my friend.

    ...xoxoxoxooxox...Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so welcome, my sweet friend!! You know, when we first moved in this house ten years ago, this office was Slade's nursery. As he got older, we knew he needed to be in a different room, so we got Steele a bunk bed and it became "their" room. Who do you think helped me with that transition?! You guessed it! Mom, Kimberly and Lindsay. They switched it out and made this into the computer room, but over time it turned into the "catch all" room. The part that was so overwhelming were the closets. (STUFFED to the brim) but she did this past weekend while I was gone and I just about cried when I got back home and discovered how hard she had worked. The "getting started part" is always the hardest for me...but when it does get started, you just can't stop. ha!
    I pray I can be Summer's "First stepper". It is a GIFT!
    And YES, will most definitely share her. She has many friends who depend on her. She's a good one for sure.
    Love you, friend! Now get to steppin' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this. :) I have a lot of things that I want to do and now that I finally can breathe and have some room on my plate, I can get started. :)

    ReplyDelete