Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Thou shall Keep up with the Kardashians...if you must...

“There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm.”  ~Willa Cather
I’ve got a confession...Are you sitting down??? 
(Deep breath) I let my kids watch reality TV.  Lots of reality TV...and not particularly good reality TV (is there any good kind???)
Keeping up with the Kardiashians? They watch it. Toddlers and Tiaras? It’s recorded to the DVR. The Bachelor? Puuullleeeezzzz...we have an entire night at my house devoted to it. 
It’s a sickness, I know, but like with any addiction, the first step is admitting that you have a problem, right? Well, actually, before we get to that, maybe we should evaluate whether we (ok, “I”...since I am in charge of what they watch) have a problem after all.
You see, my children are pretty well balanced, well-mannered, smart kids. They all manage to pull off great grades which I would love to take credit for, but am rarely if ever asked for help. They help around the house without complaining (most of the time). They take care of their baby sister better than any full time nanny I could hire. Sure, they have their moments but overall, I consider myself extremely lucky in the parenting department. To prove my point, if I didn’t have great kids, I would never be able to manage my household, be a partner in my own law firm and still find time to write (which I love).  
So, my kids are great kids. But still, they watch the most incredible amount of crap on TV. I wish I could find a more eloquent word to describe the quality of their programming but I can’t...it’s crap....C.R.A.P. 
You could watch an entire season of “Dance Moms” and not find a single redeeming quality in any of the moms on that show. They are bitter, jealous, hostile and just plain mean. And don’t get me started with the moms on Toddlers and Tiaras. They are so clearly trying to fill some sad, lonely void in their pasts by vicariously living through their once innocent and now, “not so innocent” daughters. Seriously, people, put the blow dryer down and step away from the mascara!
I struggle to find the perfect word to describe the quality of this type of programming but “nauseating” seems to sum it up best.
So, if these shows are so awful, what am I doing allowing my children to watch it? 
First, let’s just dispense with the obvious. These shows are fun. PERIOD. Yes, you heard me...FUN! It’s fun to watch people make complete jackasses of themselves. It’s fun to see these people think so highly of themselves, completely oblivious to the fact that they are making total idiots of themselves on TV. Come on, you know it’s true. Does the young woman who is crying her eyes out after being rudely denied a rose and a chance to return on next week’s episode of “The Bachelor” look like an idiot when she goes on to describe to camera crews how she felt that her and this season’s bachelor really “had found true love” after knowing each other just 36 minutes??? OF COURSE. And that’s what makes it fun. 
But aside from entertainment (and they are definitely entertaining), these shows provide something I think is far more valuable. They teach us what NOT TO DO. And that, my friends, in my opinion, is every bit as important as being told what TO DO.
I could spend a week describing to Alexandra, my ten year old, how important it is to be humble if she beats another girl in a basketball game. We could sit and discuss how your integrity is on the line each and every day and there is no better test of your character and integrity than the manner in which you treat other people. I could teach her that gloating and being cocky will make her look ugly and arrogant and that is no way to behave OR....
I could watch an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras and listen to one mom go on and on about how her daughter is the MOST beautiful, MOST talented, has the longest eye lashes and the best bikini body of anyone who has ever competed in the 4 and under division....(and, yes, people, there is a swim suit competition).
I could describe to Gabby, my fourteen year old, the importance of protecting her virtue and staying true to herself...or we could watch an episode of the bachelor and watch girl after girl do unthinkable things on first “dates” only to be cut by the bachelor after that very evening (relax, friends, it is public broadcasting...) After such an episode the conversation usually goes something like this...
Gabby: “Why in the world would she do that?”
Me: “I’m not sure, honey. I guess she thought, stupidly, that by doing that, she would get him to like her more.”
Gabby: “She’s an idiot. It only made her look like a tramp.”
Now, that, my friends, is what we mothers like to call a “teachable moment.”
Sure, are there more traditional ways to teach my children? Of course. And please put the phone down because Child Protective Services is very busy today....I promise you I mix in plenty of good ole’ fashioned  traditional parenting with the non-traditional. My only point is that it can be just as easy to learn proper behavior by watching examples of what not to do...just as easy and a lot more fun! 

7 comments:

  1. I recently posted on FB that I am thrilled with the Bachelor this season!! It is helping me teach my almost 12 year old how not to act. We laugh until we cry over how "out there" these girls are. She is amazed and entertained by their behavior and I couldn't be happier about it!! We get inspired too, by shows like "The Biggest Loser". I think all these shows are fine when you can use them to show/teach what is real and what isn't. Well done, moms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Claudia ! Beth just remarked not long ago how we watched TV together, and always discussed the good,bad, and ugly. You're doing a great job, BTW! Such lovely Girls you have.
    Peggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Peggy. One of my memories of growing up was rushing home and getting to watch "Santa Barbara" (soap opera) with my mom before tennis practice. Not exactly mind challenging TV but we loved the alone time together and it was a chance to just get lost in the nonsense of it all for a bit. Thanks for posting. Hope you are well.
    -Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me laugh out loud! My 15 year old and I watch Teen Mom together! Thanks for making it "OK" for me to teach in this manner! :o) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia....I look SO look forward to reading your blogs!! This one, in particular, is fantastic!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way! I'm an AVID "Bachelor" watcher...and always want my girls (18 and 16) to watch with me so that they can see how NOT to behave! haha!

    Keep 'em coming!! How old is your oldest...14? Hhm...maybe when she reaches about 16, you can write one about laziness and "appreciation". Now that one I look forward to. My husband and I often have the conversation about how he would like to see my 16 show more appreciation. And, quite honestly, so would I. However, do you really teach someone to appreciate things, or do they grow and learn it through time and experience? hhmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I do NOT need to wait until Gabby (my 14 and oldest) reaches 16 to tell you I feel your pain about learning how to appreciate things.

    Just last week I literally told Gabby that just because the State of Indiana requires that I pick her up from basketball practice (or I would go to jail for parental neglect), that DOES NOT mean she doesn't have to say "thank you."

    Think she got it. I hope!!!

    And being grateful might be the very best thing we can teach our kids. God knows, there is NOTHING worse than people who "expect" things. Yes, I love to spoil my kids (and see from the pics that you have awesome kids to spoil as well), but when they appreciate what you do for them, it truly makes parenting what it should be...rewarding and FUN!

    By the way, I could blog for DAYS about why Jamie had to go...1) NO! to the veritable lap dance and 2) BOSSY, BOSSY with the kissing session...Really, Jamie? Really???

    Love ya, Amy! Thanks for the post!

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Jamie...I couldn't even look at the tv from being so embarrassed for her!! I still feel uncomfortable just THINKING about what she did on national tv! LOL

    Yes, I really do have great kids (as do you). Even after all the complaining...I will miss them so much when I'm left with the "empty nest".

    Ok, enough chatting....I must go read today's blog!! haha

    ReplyDelete