Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thou shall embrace life's "do-overs"!

A glimpse into my "not-so-perfect marriage"

Remember when we were kids and sometimes we'd mess up in a game with friends and we'd instantly yell, "Do over!"
Remember?

Sometimes they'd let us have the "Do over" and .......sometimes they wouldn't. 

Well, I kinda forgot about that childhood "mulligan" until today when I needed a "take two" myself. 

Let me just say that many times my husband, Kevin, will have to work a "swing shift" or "night shift" so if there is something on my mind, I have to save it all up and try to remember everything for whenever I see him again.

This morning, I was packing everybody up for our weekend trip to Zachary (near Baton Rouge) to see Kevin's family.
Faith (Steele's lab) was outta control! Ha! I literally could not go 3 minutes without pulling her sharp teeth from any number of my antique furniture pieces. It was just one of those mornings that had me feeling kinda stressed.

Kevin worked last night, so he slept through all of the morning craziness.

I finally got to hop in the shower at noon. I was busy shampooing my hair when Kevin slid the shower door open a little bit. But my eyes were closed so I didn't see him. He finally said, "Hey there".
Startled, I opened my eyes and said, "Oh my gosh, you scared me, babe!"

He smiled, slid the door back closed and said, "How's it going today?"

I said (in a stressed tone), "Well, it's been hectic, if you wanna know the truth. Faith has been outta control, she chewed part of Slade's mattress because you forgot to put her back in her kennel when I took the kids to school... I'm off the timed schedule to pick the kids up early from school.... By the way, Kev, did you remember to ask off for Super Bowl Sunday like I asked?"

Kevin replied, "Aw man! No and I didn't get off because everybody requested it already"

"KEV! Seriously?!? I already RSVP'd to our friends that we'd be at their party...Now I gotta call them back and tell them we can't make it. Dang it, Babe!"

I continue, "Well, did you at least get off that first weekend of March when I am going to Seaside with Leigh, Toni and Jenny for our annual 1/2 marathon trip?"

I hear him say, "oh my goodness. Totally forgot and I'm already off two other weekends that month so I can't do it"

"Kevin, are you kidding me? Uugh.... Why can't things be easy for me?! Now I have to ask friends to help me out and I hate asking so much of them"

Dead silence.

So I say, "Are you still in here? Kev? Babe!

Then I hear him close to the shower door and he says, "You know what? I'm gonna go get back in the bed, get out and try this again."

The door shuts behind him.

I reach out to grab my towel and think about what just happened and I begin to feel terrible. He worked all night long. Slept about 4 hours. Wakes up happy....and in the swoop of about 4 minutes, I completely sucked the joy right out of him. This time "I" was the "joy-sucker". Dang it, Teri.
Okay, he is giving me a "Do over" so I have a choice when he comes back in here.

I can either continue with my frustrated tone and pity-party attitude....OR.....completely play along and take this "Take two" opportunity and make things fun. What is it, Teri? What's it gonna be, Miss "Happiness is a choice".... Dig deep girl.

Kevin walks in. He slides the shower door over. I'm wrapped in my towel at this point, hair soaked and dripping.
He smiles and repeats his original, "Hey there".

I smile and say in a flirty tone, "Well, Hi there. It's nice to see ya this mornin'. Would you like to join me?". *wink*

He slides the door over a little more and says, "Hmmm... Now this is quite a 'Do over'.

You know, throughout your life, you'll hear people say, "You only have one life, so you better get it right!"

Well, that's true.....Sorta.....

Yes, we only have one life, but lucky for us..... in this one life we will have many opportunities for "Do overs" when we mess up.

Take advantage of the "Do Overs"! Make it right when it's within your power. Otherwise, your missing out on some of the very best parts of life. ;-)

Cheers to the "Do overs" of life.... *Clink*



-Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment